Thursday, March 7, 2024

Know your Learners as Readers, Day 2 RPI

During our learning session today, we focused on the importance of knowing your learners as readers and how this knowledge can help in assessing their reading abilities. The day began with a questionnaire to reflect on how my current practices aligned with the Manaiakalani Pillars of Practice, which showed that I am on the right track.

Next, Dothory shared another part of the Manaiakalani story, highlighting how they have engaged and accelerated their readers. Her key message was that a "hook" is needed to reel in disengaged learners. This made me reflect on the "hooks" I am currently using in my class and whether they could be better. This discussion was linked to the last session in which we talked about creating a Reader Profile and how the emotional aspects of reading, such as enjoyment, interest, reading for pleasure, and participation, are important in choosing the right hook.

Assessment 101 

The rest of the day was spent on a deep dive into the various assessment tools we use, with a focus on using them more effectively.

Keeping track of learning

Next, I was introduced to the Teacher Workbook, a one-stop shop Google Sheets where I can keep all the reading knowledge about my learners. This information is usually stored both in my head and in many other places, both digital and on paper. Not very helpful when working collaboratively.  After making my copy to use for the rest of the year, we played around with ways to use the various tools to help with organising and unpacking PAT and Reader Survey data. A simple way to find the next steps for both the class as a whole and individual groups.

Assessment Tools 

Having the time to log into NZCER and look at the PAT Reading comprehension data was great. One sensible suggestion when analysing your class was to read the text and then check what answers the students selected (incorrectly) thinking about what information they misunderstood in the question. Why did they choose that answer? This will help guide choosing the next learning steps for that group of learners. 


Learning intentions & success criteria 

We recapped how to create student-focused and friendly learning intentions and success criteria. This is something that is a core part of my practice and it is always helpful to revisit my understanding of it. The quote by Michael Absolum was a refreshing reminder not to overuse WALTs and SC. They need to be fit for purpose!

A top tip was to introduce the co-constructing of WALTS slowly, the teacher suggesting 2 and the students come up with one. This is a great idea for some of my students who have been finding it difficult to come up with all SC/remember to.

 The two things that I can add to my guided reading sessions next week are:

  • Add a reading challenge sheet to the back of each student's current home reading log 
  • Add in an opportunity for students to record themselves reading texts when creating the Panui evidence slides.

Overall, another thought-provoking day resulting in a lot to think about and many ways to make small tweaks to refine my current practice.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jo,

    Great to catch up on Friday and hear how things have been going for you. I really like your approach to all this - thinking about tweaks you can make to your already expert practice, rather than having to wholesale adopt 'new' practices.

    I particularly like the idea of adding the reading challenge to home learning, and the links that will make between whānau and school, I look forward to hearing how you get on with this. Makes sense to me and I can see how I'd do it as a parent, without it being extra work.

    Hope your next couple of weeks go smoothly,
    Georgie

    ReplyDelete