Thursday, May 9, 2019

Digital Fluency Intensive - Cybersmart

Words Wound - Make Kindness go VIRAL!  



Why cybersmart?

Our learners are growing up in a digital age, they don't know a world without it. So we need to prepare all students to navigate this environment smartly. To be confident, connected, actively involved, life long learners.
Implementation - Planning is collaborative and makes use of deliberate acts of teaching to support learners Learn, Create and Share in a positive relevant way.


We always use positive language!




Hapara Teacher Dashboard - Making Learning Visible
Hapara allows you to focus on teaching, not the technology!
We recapped on the key features:
  • How to make groups
  • How to check that all doc are shared into the right folders
  • How to check emails, posts, and comments.
  • Using focus browsing to support on task behaviour.
Manaiakalani 1:1 Journey The principals of the Treaty drove their thinking. Here is a summary of this journey.



BYOD - Bring your own Disaster!

In 2010 Manaiakalani made a conscious decision to no use BYOD as most of the learners would no have equal access to these. They asked the question "how can the children in the lowest socioeconomic 10% of New Zealand’s population have their own, personal learning device?" The answer was Chromebooks.
Now Ipads and Chromebooks are used to support Learn, Create, Share.
For the rest of the day, we had multiple opportunities to walk in our student's shoes by using a Chromebook and Ipad to access our learning. I really enjoyed the digital dig that was shared with us. 

As I was using a Chromebook to do this learning I was reminded that having good fine motor skills are important for our learners to have to these tools successfully. Reminding students that they can use a wireless mouse if using the trackpad is frustrating is something that I need to revisit. 

Going forward: I will use the digital dig with my class. It was a fun activity to remind leaners of all the tools and keyboard shortcuts that can be used. It will also be a great way to take a snapshot of my learners to check how digitally fluent they are and to plan the next learning steps. 

My personal challenge is to use screencastify regularly as I find it difficult to relax and be natural when recording myself. I also find it a challenge to listen to myself talking. This is one of the few situations in my teaching where I don't practice what I preach! Time to make a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment